“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”
― William Arthur Ward

Monday, September 30, 2013

MI Theory and Technology

Jane Carlson-Pickering's article "Teachers in Technology Initiative" provides a very interesting take on how dynamic 21st century learning has become and how Multiple Intelligences can be used to enhance this learning.  One of the main points of the article is that students will learn content better if they are emotionally attached to the subject.  "Our emotions open and close the doors to our ability to learn new information and perform specific tasks" (Carlson-Pickering, 1999).  Students will be less engaged in activities that they don't care about, or have little talent in.  Therefore, MI theory can support student learning by providing instruction in multiple manners that students actually care about.  The article suggests, "...If you are exposed to new ideas that are presented to you through a minimum of three different intelligences, you will have a better chance of remembering the information" (Carlson-Pickering, 1999).  

Personally, I know that MI theory has helped me in my previous schooling.  My strongest MI is kinesthetic (or bodily awareness) and my weakest subject by far is science.  Through lab exercises in different science courses, I have had the opportunity to take a hands on learning approach that allows me to understand in a much deeper way than just being told.


Overall, MI is extremely important in 21st century teaching and learning because it allows teachers to connect learning material to their students through a manner the students actually care about and are interested in learning.




Above is a Picasso Head to represent my strongest MI which is intrapersonal awareness.  I used two different heads to show how I listen to myself and my feelings in order to make daily decisions.  I also chose to make my ears larger and red to stress the importance of listening to myself and also that I am very aware of my surroundings through my secondary kinesthetic (or bodily awareness) strength.


I believe that in addition to multiple intelligence, learning styles do exist.  "...when you analyze an individual, then the learning style often distinguishes itself as a key component of being able to learn or not" ("Learning styles & preferences," 2000)   Learning styles are not all-powerful deciders of whether a student learns or not, but learning styles do help students get a better grasp of concepts.  Basically it boils down to the fact that some learners prefer a certain type of content and means of learning than others.


I think the concept of learning styles is useful for classroom teachers as it can help identify why some students are struggling.  It can also help to determine how a teacher may use another means to help the student learn the material.




Reference List

Carlson-Pickering, J. (1999). Teachers in technology initiative. Retrieved from http://www.21learn.org/archive/teachers-in-technology-initiative/

Learning styles & preferences. (2000, May 29). Retrieved from http://nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/styles.html

No comments:

Post a Comment